CULTURE

itinerari
Many places around Malga Rossa, located in the piedmont area are of historical and landscape interest.

Bassano del Grappa: Ponte degli Alpini (the bridge of alpines troops), the Museum of Grappa, a lot of churches of historical artistic interest.
LINK: www.bassano.eu
Marostica: Castello Superiore e Inferiore and the mythical Piazza degli Scacchi (square of chess).
LINK: www.comune.marostica.vi.it
Nove: home of china
Romano d’Ezzelino: Car Museum “Luigi Bonfanti”
LINK: www.museobonfanti.veneto.it
Possagno: Temple and Gallery of plaster casts by Canova
LINK: www.museocanova.it
Asolo: city of Eleonora Duse and Lovers with the famous Fortress
LINK: www.asolo.it
Cittadella e Castelfranco: cities with walls
LINK: www.turismo.comune.cittadella.pd.it
LINK : www.castelfrancoveneto.it

SPORT ON MOUNT GRAPPA

sport
Thanks to its lucky geographical location the hotel “Malga Rossa” is a reference point for people who want to practise sport on a vacation.
It’s a few minutes driving from the dropping zone of free flight on Grappa Mount. This is one of the most coveted places by fans of paragliding and hang-gliding thanks to the unique updrafts in Europe, that allow covering long distances with just one flight.
Due to the particular climate conditions it’s possible to practise paragliding about 300 days a year and the vast valley under the mountain top makes the flight easier and safer.
Furthermore, there is a widespread roads network that enables people to reach high dropping zones, among the highest in Europe.

Sport on Mount Grappa is not only paragliding but also hiking with snowshoes in winter, climbing, Nordic walking, bungee jumping and many other things.
For lovers of mountain-bike Mount Grappa offers many fascinating and beautiful routes, many mountain paths to breathe nature and relax.

Sanctuary of Madonna dell’Acqua – Mussolente (VI)

The Sanctuary is located 6 km from Bassano del Grappa on the way that leads to Asolo-Montebelluna and has devotional origin. A wooden statue of the Madonna, rescued from the fury of waters, was placed in the parish church in 1639. It then became Marian Sanctuary.

According to the popular tradition the wooden statue was placed inside a Benedictine monastery on the southern side of Mount Grappa, at the mouth of Santa Felicita valley and dedicated to the Paduan martyr Felicita.
Legend has it that on July the 15th 1636 an extraordinarily violent flood hit the area, the monastery and the church included, sweeping a lot of debris downstream.
Sebastiano Favero from Mussolente was watching the fury of the flood from the bank of the torrent Volon when saw the wooden statue in the water. As soon as he recovered and brought it home the statue was identified by the population in Mussolente as the statue of the Madonna belonging to the monastery of Santa Felicita, destroyed in the disaster.
Over the following 3 years the statue was kept by Favero family and then donated to the parish church. Afterwards, in 1636 it was carried in procession to the church on the hill and placed onto an altar, dedicated to Her.
Thus, according to the popular tradition, it took the name of Madonna dell’Acqua (Madonna of Water) either as memory of its extraordinary recovery in the torrent Volon and to highlight the special protection requested to the virgin so that there is no lack of water.
Since the placement of the statue on top of the hill the population in Mussolente has been applying to the Madonna to ask for consolation, help and protection in any circumstance, especially in case of real danger or threat.
Two vows have been made: in 1917 to avert the evacuation of Mussolente after the Caporetto defeat and in 1944 to avert the threat of fascist retaliations.
For decades the feast of Madonna dell’Acqua has been being celebrated the first Sunday of August.

In the past it was the parish church in Mussolente. It is an elegant building placed in a panoramic spot and built between 1770 and 1800 on prior medieval foundations. The project is ascribed to the abbot Daniele Bernardi (1729-1806) from Bassano. The façade goes back to the end of last century. The interior is slender and airy; the ceiling is decorated with frescos by the painter Sebastiano De Boni (1736-1835) from Feltre.
Due to the industrial expansion in the ‘50s the construction of another church was promoted on the southern side of the hill area. So the old parish church became Sanctuary in 1964 according to an episcopal decree and since that same year entrusted to the Dehoniani Fathers’ keeping.